DIY Homemade Laundry Powder:
- Organic Baking Soda – (Sodium Bicarbonate) helps remove stains and any odour. Sodium Carbonate helps remove stains and grease as well as softening the water. It can even work as a fixative for some natural dyeing techniques.
- Soap – Plain Natural Soap Bar cleans.
- Citric Acid – helps break down grease and stains and is a natural bleaching agent, color brightener and water softener.
- Borax – stain removal, and can also be used on whites as an alternative to bleach. (This can be left out if you prefer to go Borax free and more Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) added in its place)
- Essential Oil – Use ones with anti-bacterial properties such as Lavender or Tea tree.
You will need:
- 1 cup Sodium Carbonate
- 1 cup plain soap grated or powdered
- ½ cup Borax
- ¼ cup Baking Soda
- ¼ cup citric Acid
- 2-3 drops of essential oil.
- First you want to get your soap into a powder form, so it dissolves easy during washing you want it as fine as possible. There are a couple ways you can do this, either by grating the soap as fine as you can, or cut the soap bar into pieces using a sharp knife, and put the soap pieces into the blender and blend on high to get it as close possible to powder form.
- Next mix all the ingredients together and put them in an air tight jar or container ready for use.
- Use a third of a cup of powder for a load of washing.
- For a fragranced powder, simply add 2 or 3 drops of Essential oil to the dry powder in your detergent dispenser of your machine.
Posted: Thursday 8 March 2018